Connect with your home – and yourself – on a deeper level by deciding to create the perfect meditation nook
By Bec Gregory
Your home is your temple. But how much time do you dedicate to your spiritual growth and wellbeing within your own sacred space? Sadly, for most of us, the answer is very little. But by creating a meditation nook, you can turn all that around.
Not only do these spaces look beautiful, but they also bring in cosmic energies, cultivate calm in your home AND encourage you to prioritise your meditation practise and mental health. It’s really worth it, people! A daily commitment to your spiritual growth and psychological wellbeing could result in multiple health benefits.
Image credit: Sound-Healing-Meditation-Gallery-VIBRANSE-by-Andrea-Mihalik
The Benefits Of Meditation
Prayer is for speaking to the divine, meditation is for listening.
Even taking just a few minutes a day to focus the mind can lead to multiple health benefits. For example?
In general, if you meditate daily, you’re likely to see the following science-based physical benefits:
- Stress reduction and fewer symptoms associated with medical conditions triggered by stress such as irritable bowel syndrome, PTSD, and fibromyalgia.
- Less anxiety and improved coping skills.
- Reduced symptoms of depression and a more positive outlook on life.
- Improved focus, memory, and mental clarity.
- Enhances the immune system.
- Manage unhealthy habits and addictions.
- Better quality sleep.
- Higher pain threshold.
- Improved breathing and heart rate.
- Decreased blood pressure.
Of course, meditation also offers many spiritual benefits, too, including:
- A more grounded sense of being.
- Increased kindness and a more compassionate relationship with yourself and others.
- Activating higher levels of consciousness.
- Accessing higher emotional states such as peace and joy.
- Bringing the body, mind, heart, and spirit in harmony.
- Discovering your purpose and divine assignments.
- Increased intuition.
- Psychic development.
- Increased ability to live in the present moment.
- Greater feelings of gratitude.
And with the current chaos and uncertainty in the world, don’t we all need more wellbeing in our lives than ever before?
Read on to find out how to make the perfect meditation nook in your home.
How To Create A Meditation Nook At home
1. Find the perfect location
To create the ideal meditation nook, place it in the north east sector of your home. This is an auspicious area that rules the mind, and represents your self-cultivation. By expressing your desire for spiritual growth in this area, your meditation practice will be supported by the Feng Shui energy of this sector.
If the north east area isn’t possible, at least ensure your nook is facing that direction.
Tip: Avoid placing your meditation spot under an overhead beam as they interfere with the energy of the space. You can diminish their sharp energy by painting the beam to match the ceiling.
2. Clear the space
Once you’ve chosen the location of your meditation nook, you’ll need to prepare the space physically and energetically.
First, remove everything from the area and clean the space to make it sparkle!
When you’ve physically cleared and cleaned the nook, energetically clear the space to remove old and stagnant energies from the area. Use a smudge stick or sacred sounds – simple clapping works, too!
Then, open some windows to let some fresh air revitalise the space and let old, lower vibrational energies out of the house.
3. Decide what to put in your nook
Now you’re ready to create your personal paradise! Choose your colours carefully, as they will impact your space and meditation. Purple and deep indigo tones are great for activating your higher energy centres, whilst green will open your heart chakra.
Some ideas for objects to use when you’re about to create your meditation nook are below.
Define the space with a meditation cushion. You may like to use a rug, blanket, or yoga mat to place the cushion on.
Tip: Always use the same cushion when you meditate as the spiritual energy infuses the cushion and enhances your experience.
A meditation altar
Meditating in front of a sacred object can make your practice more powerful. This is the perfect spot for a statue of a deity. Calling on your spirit team before meditation can help you access higher states of consciousness and receive guidance.
The lighting of candles is a wonderful way to support your meditation practice and bring in church and temple vibes into your space. Light your candles whilst holding an intention. White candles are great to honour yourself and your spiritual growth.
Pictures and paintings can alter the energy of your meditation space. Go for high vibrational images such as spiritual art with hidden meanings and messages, scenes in nature, flowers, or your spirit animal. Serene scenes that you can imagine yourself in are great for meditation!
Tip: If your meditation space is in the north east sector of your home, pictures of mountains are particularly beneficial in this area according to Feng Shui principles.
Use your meditation practice to keep your energy centres and auric field clean by using smudge sticks to remove lower vibrational energies. This will also assist you in reaching meditative states.
Keep your meditation space energetically clean by smudging the area to dispel energetic debris before and after you meditate.
Tip: Don’t forget to smudge your armpits and the soles of your feet!
Add sacred scent to your meditation ritual by burning incense. Incense has been used around the world for centuries for religious and ceremonial purposes. It has been scientifically proven that scent improves psychological wellbeing by improving mood and reducing stress.
Sound bowls and gongs
The use of sacred sounds can help you to access meditative states quicker and easier. These instruments produce specific frequencies that can encourage your brainwaves to align with them, allowing you to access states that may normally be difficult to achieve.
A copper pyramid
Energise and enhance your meditation by sitting under a copper pyramid. According to the Pyramid Spiritual Societies Movement (PSSM), pyramids amplify and transmit cosmic energy more powerfully than any other structure. And meditating under a copper pyramid is three times more powerful!
Copper pyramid meditations help to unblock your pineal gland (third eye chakra), making meditation easier! The apex of the pyramid gathers cosmic energy and directs it into your energetic field through the pineal gland.
Tip: Position the pyramid in your meditation space to align perfectly with North, South, East, and West to channel the maximum amount of cosmic energy.
Yes, you read that right: cats.
If you’ve got a cat companion, no doubt they will claim your meditation nook as their own! Cats love spiritual energies. They are believed to be inter-dimensional beings and will enjoy journeying with you when you meditate. Cats will protect you and your nook from lower vibrational energies, too.
Remember that your ability to meditate – despite potential feline distractions – will improve your practice. Just let them do their thing!
Crystals are powerful spiritual allies that will enhance your meditation practice. In fact, they’re such an important part of how to create the perfect meditation nook, it’s worth looking at them in detail, below.
5. Use crystals to create a meditation nook
Grounding crystals (generally black, brown, or red) are helpful during meditation to anchor heavenly energies through the body and to prevent feeling ‘spacey’ and detached from the body when you finish your meditation.
There are many ways to use crystals for meditation. Always use your intuition to identify the best crystals and techniques for you. Here are a few of our favourite crystal meditation techniques:
- Meditate with a crystal – Simply ask your crystals “who would like to meditate with me today”? Always go with your first instinct. Connect with your chosen crystal to find out where it wants to be placed during your meditation. We are all crystal healers, trust yourself!
- Meditate within a circle of crystals – Choose an even number of crystals to work with (4, 6, 8, 12) and place them around you in an evenly spaced circle. Energetically connect your root chakra and the crystals together (like the spokes of a bicycle wheel, your root chakra being the central point) and pull the crystalline energy up through each of your energy centres. To learn more about crystal grids, check out the wonderful work of my go-to crystal healer and teacher, Katie-Jane Wright.
- Meditate in a crystal – Visualise yourself inside one of your favourite crystals whilst you meditate and bask in the crystalline energy!
Tip: Attracted to a crystal you don’t have? Simply call its crystalline energy to you! Energy is boundless and you don’t need the physical stone to experience its healing energy.
Do you have any tips yourself on how to create the ideal meditation nook? Let us know in the comments, below!